Director: Ali Abbas Zafar
Music Director: Vishal-Shekhar
Cast: Salman Khan, Anushka Sharma, Randeep hooda, Amit Sadh
Kismat Agar Aaj Mujhe Haraane mein Lag jaati hai… To ye Sultaan Ali Khaan Apni kismat khud Likhega!!!
And Indeed Salman Khan has done that! Sultan has hit the big screens and this action-packed movie brings forward a thought-provoking story of a Haryanvi wrestler who dreams of winning the Gold Medal for his country. A strong directorial venture by Ali Abbas Zafar, Sultan is a strong cinematic representation of a wrestler’s fight with attackers on the grounds and in real life.
The movie features powerful performances by its lead actors, Salman Khan, Anushka Sharma, Randeep Hooda and Amit Sadh, who have actually given their best to justify their character. Here is a short synopsis of what we think of the movie:
- Bhaijaan kills the introductory scene with his macho, powerful and dhobi-pachaad move.
- The fresh pairing of Salman and Anushka rocks the screens and the massy jugalbandi leading to their romance is totally charming. Well, topped with their catchy Haryanvi accents, the chemistry goes on another level altogether.
- Director Ali Abbas Zafar has imparted life to the wrestling scenes which gives the movie its authentic appeal.
- Salman’s references to SRK and Aamir’s upcoming movie Dangal comes as surprise for the audience.
- The songs are completely entertaining especially; the title track adds strength to Sultan’s passion for wrestling.
- The screenplay is tight and the paisa-vasool punch lines would make your day.
- The movie has been stretched for quite a bit and becomes boring towards the end. The first half is all about Sultan and Arfa love story which fails to build-up the main wrestling-inspired storyline of the movie.
- Sometimes, songs are forcefully fit into the plot. But being a Salman Khan movie one cannot complain about it!
- Sultan seems to be a mix of bit and pieces from all Salman’s movies and characters. There are emotions of all kinds: the despaired lover from Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, the obnoxious star from London Dreams and the morality-driven hero of Bajrangi Bhaijaan.
- One can feel a lack of edge-of-the-seat fighting scenes in the movie as is expected from a film based on wrestling.
Salman Khan shines as a “Haryanvi Pehelwaan.” Being a fitness freak himself, he has done all his best to infuse life into his character. “Sultan Ali Khan” can be seen as one of best performances of his entire career. It’s not just the physical efforts, but his acting ability and technique have made Sultan Ali Khan cast a strong impression on the audience’s mind. Anushka Sharma character’s Arfa is surely empowering as she tries to defy all norms to establish herself as a female wrestler. However, sometimes she rather appears a bit obnoxious and little annoying while failing to connect with the audience. Randeep Hooda and Amit Sadh have justified their roles with decent acting.
Googly Verdict: Watch the movie for “Sabka Bhaijaan” Salman Khan. Sultan is a super-entertainer that will make you fall you in love with this amazing Khan once again.