Director: Majid Majidi
Cast: Ishaan Khatter, Malavika Mohanan, Goutam Ghose, Tannishtha Chatterjee, Dwani Rajesh
Genre: Social Drama
Synopsis: World famous Iranian film director Majid Majidi has made a mark in the domain of Indian movies with his signature style in Beyond The Clouds. It is the story of Amir (Ishan Khattar) and his despair, failure, realization and repentance. Mumbai slum is the place where every other person has a story and that too many folds. Amir peddles drug for living with a dream in his eyes to make something big in future. One day, while chasing by police Amir seeks the help of his estranged sister Tara (Malavika Mohanan). She requests her boss Akshi (Gautam Ghosh) to hide the packet of drug which he does but asks for a cost. Akshi tries to rape Tara and in self-defense she hits him back. Police arrests Tara on the attempt of murder as Akshi loses his verbal ability. Now it is the struggle of Amir to take care of Akshi and make him able to talk again to prove the innocence of his sister. During this run, he shares a beautiful bond with Akshi’s mother and daughters. Meanwhile, Tara finds the solace in a little boy of her fatally ill jail inmate (Tannishtha Chatterjee) who remembers her, the younger self of Amir.
- Majidi’s signature features like the eye for colour, painting like cinematography and creation of momentum are also present in Beyond The Clouds.
- Ishan Khattar has already proved his mettle with marvellous acting skill. He has utilised every screen brilliantly.
- Malavika Mohanan has acted effectively to portray the one-note character like Tara.
- The main show stealer is GV Sharada who portrays the character of Akshi’s mother beyond convincing.
- The cinematography is the real hero of the movie. The use of long shot and top shot depicts the character’s travel through the journey of life.
- The music of A R Rahman is soulful.
Not So High Quotient:
- The screenplay of the movie is a little scattered.
- The sibling bonding of Amir and Tara can get more attention.
- During the first half, the characters need much time to build up.
Watch the official trailer here: