“Jab log kisi ke kareeb aa jaate hai … toh ek doosre ki tarah baatein karne lagte hai”
Call her the “Laadli” of entertainment, an icon of Bollywood or a legendary actress, the truly inspiring life of Zohra Sehgal is worth every title. Be it the motivating mother in Cheeni Kum, the emotional grandmother in Saawariya or the cool Dadi in Dil Se, whichever role she played, she rocked the celluloid with her confidence, vivacity and great acting skills.
On her Birth Anniversary, let’s recall some of the facts about her life and career.
- Zohra took the first step in her career as a dancer in Uday Shankar’s dancing group.
- She entered the film industry with her debut movie Dharti ke Laal (1946). Her next movie Neecha Nagar came out in the same year and bagged the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival.
- She was later seen as the “face of multiculturalism for Asian immigrants in the UK,” and played important roles in popular TV series like Jewel in the Crown (1984) and Tandoori Nights (1985-87).
- She acted in Superhit movies like Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (1997), Dil Se (1998), and Cheeni Kum (2007). Her last movie was Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Saawariya.
- In the year 2012 her daughter, Kiran Sehgal wrote her biography titled, “Zohra Sehgal: Fatty.”
- She was honoured with the Padma Vibhushan, India’s second-highest civilian honour, in the year 2010.