Jhumaka gira re haay, Jhumaka gira re, Bareli ke bazaar me
Asha Bhosle needs no introduction! Every time fabulous singer picks up her mike and sings, one is transcend into the realm of melody that’s pure, perfect and remarkable.
India’s legendary singer celebrates her 83rd Birthday today!
Let’s take a stroll down the memory lane and look at her ‘not-so-easy’ life journey.
- We all know Asha Tai as a phenomenal singer but the lady is a great mimicry artist too! She often mimics her sister Lata Mangeshkar and singer Ghulam Ali’s voices.
- Her singing career took off at the age of 10. Even though, she was very much interested in acting.
- Best-known for her romantic and sensual chart-busters, Asha Tai followed her heart and at the age of 16, eloped and married with 31-year-old Lata Mangeshkar’s secretary, Ganpatrao Bhosle. Allegedly, this unmatched marriage tarnished Asha’s relationship with Lata. However, her marriage didn’t last long and she moved out of her house with her two kids.
- There was a phase, when the songs of B & C grade films and those rejected by other A-list singers like Lata Mangeshkar, Geeta Dutt and Shamshad Beghum came her way.
- However, Asha kissed popularity with some legendary songs like ‘Nanhe Munne Bachche Teri Muththi Mein Kya Hai’ and ‘Ude Jab Jab Zulfein’.
- In 1980, Asha Bhosle fell in love with her fellow music-director Rahul Dev Burman, who was six years younger to her.
- Well, Asha Tai said ‘No’ to the song ‘Aja Aja Main Hu Pyaar Tera’ from Teesri Manzil, as she thought she would not be able to do, but, she created the magic.
- Every maestro faces the crude side of life! After gaining immense popularity, Asha was tagged as ‘cabaret singer’. But, there was an upswing, as she redefined her singing style with ghazals of Umraao Jaan. And she nailed it!
- Asha Tai made an amazing comeback with A.R Rahman! She gave an array of unforgettable songs like ‘Tanha Tanha’, ‘Mujhe Rang De’ and ‘Kahin Aag Lage’ to name a few.
- The media often reported the alleged rivalry between the sisters, Lata and Asha. But, the sisters always refuted the rumours. A Hindi film Saaz starring Shabana Azmi and Aruna Irani is based on sibling rivalry between the Mangeshkar sisters.
- Asha Bhosle was honoured by the Guinness Book of World Records as ‘the most recorded artist in music history’. She was the first Indian to be nominated for Grammy Awards.
- In 2012, her daughter Varsha Bhosle committed suicide. In 2015, her youngest son, Hemant Bhosle passed away.
- She owns a chain of restaurant- Asha’s in Dubai and Kuwait.
Happy Birthday Asha Tai!!