आबलापा कोई इस दश्त में आया होगा…
वरना आंधी में दिया किस ने जलाया होगा.
ज़र्रे ज़र्रे पे जड़े होंगे कुंवारे सजदे..
एक एक बुत को खुदा उस ने बनाया होगा..!
The royal aura of the Tragedy Queen aka Meena Kumari can never be forgotten even in times of modernity. The touch of naivety in her eyes made several men her lasting admirers.
Mahjabeen Bano aka Meena Kumari saw an elaborative career with innumerable ups and downs, be it her professional life, or plagued love life. Working at a very young age, she was known for her strikingly good looks, unspoken beauty and shining talent, which took no time to get recognized.
Let’s recollect some of the fond memories she created for the world to revisit:
- She was fluent in Urdu, and had a corner for poetry and shayaris. Some of her work has been published.
- One of the achievements till now, Meena was the only actress to be nominated in the category for “Best Actress in a Leading Role” at Filmfare Awards 1963. Three of her leading performances were in the list.
- Before into mainstream Cinema, Meena Kumari was a common face for Hindu mythological shows.
- Just like her character in 1963’s golden gem “Sahib, Bibi Aur Ghulam”, Meena Kumari took to heavy drinking and poetry to escape her sorrows.
- “Pakeezah” was completed within a span of 14 years. After Meena Kumari and her ex-husband Kamal Amrohi’s (also the Director) divorce in 1964, it was Sunil Dutt and Nargis who convinced both of them to complete it. The movie went on to become one of the blockbusters in Bollywood.
- While shooting for “Baiju Bawara“, Meena Kumari almost drowned.
You Will Remain The Evergreen Queen in our Hearts!!!!