Literature and Bollywood, have always been two main forces behind the portrayal of Indian society. It has been well-said that films and novels are the mirrors of a society. In India, the melange of Literature and Bollywood has brought about production of some memorable movies, that have gathered rave reviews from critics and viewers.
Let us have a glance at these seven never-to-forget Hindi movies that’ve been adapted from exceptional literary works.
- Devdas (1955) adapted from Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay’s Devdas
- Guide (1965) adapted from R.K. Narayan’s The Guide
- Sholay (1975) inspired from Tarun Kumar Bhaduri’s Abhishapt Chambal
- Shatranj Ke Khiladi (1977) based on Munshi Premchand’s Shatranj Ke Khiladi
- Junoon (1978) adapted from Ruskin Bond’s A Flight of Pigeons
- Blue Umbrella (2005)based on Ruskin Bond’s Blue Umbrella
- 3 Idiots (2009) based on Chetan Bhagat’s Five Point Someone